Exploring Almost Forgotten Gravesites in the Great State of Ohio

Dedicated to cemetery preservation in the great state of Ohio

"A cemetery may be considered as abandoned when all or practically all of the bodies have been Removed therefrom and no bodies have been buried therein for a great many years, and the cemetery has been so long neglected as entirely to lose its identity as such, and is no longer known, recognized and respected by the public as a cemetery. 1953 OAG 2978."

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Spotlighting the Claus Cemetery on Lake Road (U. S. Route 6), Brownhelm Twp., Lorain County, Ohio

Sharing below my photos (taken while standing outside of the fence) at the Claus Cemetery on March 26, 2018:
Daniel Brady's blog "Brady's Lorain County Nostalgia" has done a great job of documenting the history of the Klaus (Claus) Family and the story of the little Pioneer Cemetery also known as the Claus Cemetery that is squeezed in on a steep grassy knoll on Lake Road just east of the former Lorain Ford Plant that is located on Baumhart Road. 

"Located on West Lake Road, between the Ohio Edison power plant and the former Lorain Ford Production Plant, on the corner of Fairlane Road, this family cemetery is somewhat obscured by a fence surrounding it; although it can be seen from the road. Originally established in Brownhelm Township, the cemetery is the burial site for five people - one adult and four children who died during their infancy.
The only adult who is buried here is Lucy Morgan, who came here to Brownhelm Township from England in early 1855 to visit William Hershing, who was either a member of her family or a close family friend. 
According to the story, that was passed through the family, during her visit she somehow fell on the porch of Hershing's farm house (on what is now the former Ford Plant property) and broke her hip, from which she never recovered. She died on April 9, 1855 at the age of 80. Her tombstone is still standing.
The other four who are buried here are children who died during their infancy. 
The other tombstone that is still standing is that of Anna M. Heideloff. She was the daughter of Cn & CC who was born (gest in German) 31 Juli, 1866. She was 11 mo. 24 d. old. when she died (July 24, 1867). The other partially standing stone is for Armine Klaus (Americanized Claus), daughter of Bernhardt & E., who died from mysterious causes (back then) on May 26, 1866. She was 21 days old.
The other two burial sites, whose tombstones are no longer standing and gone, are for two boys: (1) William Henry Hirsching (Hershing), who was six months old - April 15, 1860 to October 17, 1860. ; and (2) Carl H.A. Braun - sohn ( German - son) Reinhardt & Magdalena - 8 December, 1860 to 12 May, 1862. 1 jare (German - year), 5 mo., 4.d.
This family plot is being cared for by the Brownhelm Township Historical Society. William Hershing sold the property to Adam Claus, who subsequently passed the property rights to his son Bernhardt and then went to his grandson, Henry. It remained in that family from that time on."

The Claus Cemetery on Lake Road (U. S. Route 6) is tiny and not easily noticed by motorists who speed by whether driving east or west on this busy national highway.  However, it is well remembered and visited by those who care about its grounds and the gravesites of those long ago souls who found peace and rest at this unique burial ground.