Exploring Almost Forgotten Gravesites in the Great State of Ohio

Dedicated to cemetery preservation in the great state of Ohio


"A cemetery may be considered as abandoned when all or practically all of the bodies have been Removed therefrom and no bodies have been buried therein for a great many years, and the cemetery has been so long neglected as entirely to lose its identity as such, and is no longer known, recognized and respected by the public as a cemetery. 1953 OAG 2978."

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sharing Recent Photos of the Pioneer Cemetery in Lebanon, Warren County, Ohio

Sharing photographs of some of the markers and monuments standing at the Pioneer Cemetery in Lebanon, Warren County, Ohio.  
~~~~~~~~
The Pioneer Cemetery was the site of a restoration workshop held a few years ago.  
However, these photographs show that additional preservation work remains to be done because many of the gravestones and momunents, including some veterans markers, are in need of proper care for serious condition issues. 
*******************
********************




 Above:
SamuelCharles, and Lewis Chamberlin sides of monument





Above:

Above: 

 Above:
Double marker in slotted base for Hannah Chamberlin and Samuel Chamberlin





Above:
Three markers left to right:
Elizabeth, wife of Ephraim Culy, Mary Ellen, dau of G. & M. Liverpool (incorrectly spelled on gravemarker as "Liverpoll"), and Elizabeth B., wife Chambless Applegate

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Notes from "Find A Grave" about the Pioneer Cemetery:

"Cemetery notes and/or description:
The cemetery is a city block bounded by Main Street, West Street, Mulberry Street, and Harrison Street within the city of Lebanon. Although the cemetery is now a single entity, the north half was originally the Baptist Graveyard and was known as the Old Baptist Graveyard. The south half was the Methodist Cemetery and, likewise, was known as the Old Methodist Graveyard. The Old Baptist Graveyard began about 1811 when the Baptist church moved their church from a site east of Lebanon to a lot in the western part of town. The churchyard was used as a burying ground. The Old Methodist Graveyard did not come into use until 1820.

The cemetery is #12292 in “Ohio Cemeteries 1803-2003”, compiled by the Ohio Genealogical Society.

The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) feature ID for the cemetery is 1044484 (Pioneer Cemetery)."

No comments :

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.